Barcelona and Bayern Munich clash tonight at 2100 in a UEFA Champions League quarter finals encounter in Lisbon, Portugal with Lionel Messi’s side entering as undeogs, for the first time.
The Bavarians have been in terric form this season which saw them winning a German league and cup double.
Messi is now 33, yet Barcelona appear more reliant on him than ever despite the presence of gifted players such as Luis Suarez, Antoine Griezmann, Frenkie de Jong, Sergio Busquets, Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique and Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
- Both teams have reached the quarter-finals for the 18th time (in 24 and 23 appearances respectively), more than any other team.
- Barca are in the quarter-finals for the 13th consecutive year – every season since 2007/08, a record in the history of the competition.
- This is their first UEFA Champions League meeting since 2014/15, when Barcelona knocked Bayern out in the semi-final.
- The last time the they met Bayern won 3-2 Bayern goals – Medhi Benatia 7′ Robert Lewandowski 59′ Thomas Müller 74′ Barca – Neymar 15′ and 29′
- Barcelona have lost more Champions League games against Bayern than any other club, losing five of their eight matches against them (W2 D1).
- Barcelona seek to reach the semi-finals for a second consecutive season for the first time since a run of six between 2007/08 and 2012/13.
- Bayern Munich have won their eight UEFA Champions League matches this season, with only Barcelona in 2002/03 and 2014/15 winning their first nine in a campaign previously.