Mwonzora Laughs Off Planned 31 July Protests, Says They Will Flop

MDC-T acting secretary-general, Douglas Mwonzora, has scoffed at the planned July 31 anti-corruption protests, saying the demonstrations will not happen.

Mwonzora said his party is busy preparing for the Supreme Court-sanctioned Extraordinary Congress (EOC) and has no time for child’s play. He said:

I can bet you my last cent that no one will attend the demonstrations. It will be a huge flop. The MDC-T will not be a part of the protests because we are busy preparing for our congress.

On the day of the protests, is when we are supposed to have our congress. Those who want to go for the protests they are free to do so because this is a democracy.

Transform Zimbabwe (TZ) leader Jacob Ngarivhume, who is one of the main organisers of the protests, was arrested last week on allegations of inciting public violence and is currently languishing in remand prison.

Hopewell Chin’ono, a freelance journalist who has been on the forefront exposing corruption by government officials, was also arrested and denied bail.

Meanwhile, Mwonzora is under fire from his MDC-T colleagues for accepting the nomination from his Harare supporters to contest for the presidency at the EOC in violation of laid down procedures.

More: Tell Zim

Satisfaction survey
How likely is it that you would recommend Pindula News to a friend or colleague?
SuggestionsHow can we improve?
You have already submitted your feedback the vote. If you would like to add more feedback please write us on hello@pindula.com.

Comments

Back to top

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.