The finance minister yesterday while addressing a Zanu-PF Provincial Co-ordinating Committee (PCC) in Gwanda made claims that the government was going to give 1 Million people $300 each to cushion them from COVID-19 induced hardships, Sunday News reports.
Addressing the PPC Mthuli Ncube said 65 000 households in Matabeleland South will benefit from the bailout:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
I want to talk about those people that are vulnerable and are on social welfare. Our target is one million people across the country. I think we have about 65 000 households in Matabeleland South that we are targeting with this programme. We want this number to rise and people come forward and register with the Department of Social Welfare.
Those that don’t receive food will be given money. We have said we want to give them $300 per month. That’s what we have in store for now. The figure might rise but that’s what we have in store for now. We’re begging people to come forward and register. Our target is one million people but we have not even reached half that number. We want people to come forward because we know that right now, they’re suffering
Mthuli also pointed out that they had failed to fulfil their promise to give the bailout cash they had promised 1 Million people when the lockdown started and said:
This will be a continuous programme. This is money that has already been budgeted for but the problem we’re facing at the moment is that not enough people are registering for it at the moment. So far, we have over 250 000 people that have registered but that falls far short of our target which is a million people.
The government has said it could not disburse the funds to people because their details were not captured correctly and others were not registered as beneficiaries of the package.
More: Sunday News