A leaked document has revealed that the Ministry of Local Government offered residential stands in Mutare to several government officials without considering the local authority’s house waiting list.
Over 20 senior civil servants, judges and security officials, who include Manicaland Provincial Affairs Minister Ellen Gwaradzimba and Information Ministry Permanent Secretary Ndavaningi Mangwana, were granted “special favours” by the Ministry to acquire residential land in Mutare.
In the document shared by prominent journalist Hopewell Chin’ono, the Ministry outlined the conditions attached to the special favour as follows:
- That the above officials pay the purchase price in full that is land intrinsic value and servicing cost
- That the land intrinsic value be paid as 50% deposit on date of purchase and the balance be pas within a period of 12 months
- That if the allocated stand is unserviced, for the servicing of the stands Council adopt beneficiary executed stand servicing model wherein beneficiaries form a committee that undertakes all the infrastructure development on that scheme with coordination of Council through the Director of Housing and Community Services and under the supervision of the Director of Engineering and Technical Services
- That Council invites beneficiaries to purchase stands with conditions of sale and development Set by Council.
- That the offer letter be given to beneficiaries who are agreeable and meet the conditions as set the invitation to purchase.
- That other conditions of sale be as stipulated in the Council resolution.
- That Council repossess the stands from beneficiaries who fail to meet the stated conditions and infrastructure financial obligation that would have been set by the committee
- That Council will reimburse the amount paid less 10% administrative charges
- That the conditions of development be as prescribed by the Director of Engineering and Technical Services,
- That Council advertises its intention to do so in terms of section 132 of the Urban Councils Act.
Below are the names of the beneficiaries: