MDC-T acting president Thokozani Khupe has been accused of trying to create space for her confidants in Parliament by removing several MDC Alliance (MDCA) legislators who were elected in 2018 on the back of Nelson Chamisa’s popularity.
The MDC-T has taken advantage of a Supreme Court Ruling which ordered the party to hold an extraordinary congress to choose a successor to the late Morgan Tsvangirai to remove 13 MDCA legislators from Parliament, with more expected to be expelled.
Nkulumane Member of Parliament Kucaca Phulu (MDCA) said it is clear that Khupe has been vindictive by targeting some legislators she had quarrelled with in the past. Said Phulu:
I looked at the announcement to withdraw these MDC MPs [the announcement to remove 9 MDCA MPs yesterday].
The pattern clear, most are Proportional Representation MPs withdrawn to pave way for Khupe’s confidants.
They are the rank and file MPs who did no wrong. Next week they descend on Senate? Hunting for spaces?
Francisca Ncube removed to Make way for Lwazi Sibanda after Francisca prevailed in a High Court matter over Khupe faction.
Next week they’ll go after another Senator who won a court matter against them.
On Tuesday Khupe removed nine MDCA MPs from Parliament, namely;
- Amos Chibaya (Mkoba)
- Happymore Chidziva (Highfield West)
- Bacillia Majaya (PR Mashonaland Central Province)
- Mucharairwa Mugidho (PR Masvingo Province)
- Annah Muyambo ( PR Harare Province)
- Virginia Zengeya-Muradzikwa (PR Harare Province)
- Fransisca Ncube (PR Matabeleland North)
- Nomathemba Ndlovu (PR Matabeleland South)
- Murisi Zwizwai (Harare Central).