The United States Embassy in Harare has issued a travel advisory to returning residents to Zimbabwe. We present the advisory in full below.
Information for returning residents to Zimbabwe who are able to pay to stay at a Minister of Health & Child Care approved lodge or hotel. You will be subject to the Zimbabwean Government’s mandatory quarantine of 8 days at a pre-arranged accommodation and a further 14 days self-isolation for the safety of your fellow Zimbabwean.
Before booking a flight back to Zimbabwe
- Please contact ZINCAT – firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will receive a pre-admission form to fill in. This will be sent to ZINCAT medical team and stored confidentially for reference by the clinical team only.
What to expect upon arrival to Zimbabwe?
- You will be required to fill out a guest acknowledgement form confirming you understand you have to complete the mandatory quarantine period of 8 days and a further 14 days self-isolation at home.
- You will collect your luggage and go through the normal border clearance processes (customs, immigration and Covid19 quarantine security ).
- You will be met by MINISTER OF HEALTH representative and be cleared. They will make this waiting period as comfortable as possible. Your cooperation and patience are appreciated
- MOH will organize the transfer from the airport to your pre-booked accommodation – accompanied by ZINCAT staff.
Arrangements for your 8 day’s quarantine period
- Your accommodation has been approved by Minister of Health & Child Care.
- All questions will be answered by the ZINCAT medical team on arrival at your lodge.
- The accommodation will have the amenities and services you’ll need during your stay. Please be aware this will not necessarily be of normal lodge standards but it will be safe and hygienic; food, /water, tea/coffee and basic 3 meals a day will be provided.
- All meals will be provided and served to your room. Should you require any special diet please advise prior to arrival.
- Daily visit by ZINCAT medical team for monitoring.
- Should you need a doctor for any other health concerns a Doctors call out fee of $20 may be needed.
- Should you have health needs, for example prescriptions for regular medications, arrangements will be made to facilitate these requirements.
- All rooms have DSTV and Wi-Fi.
- Under the quarantine security you’ll have to remain in the allocated accommodation until you’re medically cleared to return home. Depending on the facility you are in there will be time for you to be in the garden.
- A COVID19 test will be taken on the 8thday by the ZINCAT medical team and a negative test will allow to leave for self-isolation at home for a further 7 days. Your home address will be required by ZINCAT.
- You have the option to get the PCR test from LANCET labs. This will be an out of pocket expense of $65 with a $5 fee for the doctor to administer and return it for results. This should allow you to get your result in 24hours and return home on the 9th
- However, City of Harare COVID19 Rapid Response team can administer your test for no cost. We cannot guarantee that this will be turned around less than 48 hours due to the backlog of tests they have. Which would require you to remain in quarantine for the extra nights at your expense.
What can you expect if your test is positive:
- ZINCAT Medical Team will walk you through the procedures
- You will be moved to an ZINCAT Isolation Accommodation for Monitoring
- ZINCAT will provide Psycho-Social Support during this time should you require it.
- Should symptom’s increase from mild to moderate you will be admitted into Hospital.
Please be advised the ZINCAT quarantine lodges are running predominantly at a not for profit rate – your stay is helping them to keep their staff employed and their operating costs covered. It is also supporting clinical team of ZINCAT an NFP organisation supporting front line workers in the fight against COVID 19. But if you do not wish to pay, there are Government Quarantine facilities available, free of charge.