The opposition MDC led by Nelson Chamisa has said that Morgen Komichi and recently reinstated Secretary-General, Douglas Mwonzora are no longer members of the MDC Alliance since they “supported another party”.
This comes after Komichi and Mwonzora openly and vehemently supported the Supreme Court ruling which reinstated Thokozani Khupe as the leader of the party.
We present the party’s statement below.
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -
- Qn: Does the Supreme Court Judgment have anything to do with MDC Alliance? A: The MDC Alliance was not party to the proceedings at the Supreme Court and neither was it and its le3aders ordered to do anything. The Supreme Court ordered Thokozani Khupe to organise a congress for her party to replace the one she held in April 2018.
- Qn: Does the judgement affect President Advocate Nelson Chamisa? A: The judgment does not affect the MDC Alliance president, Advocate Nelson Chamisa because it has not ordered him todo anything.
- Qn: When will the MDC Alliance have its congress? A: The MDC Alliance will hold its next congress in in 2024to renew the leadership elected at our last congress in May in 2019.
- Qn: Can MDC MPs be recalled? A: MDC MPs can only be legally recalled by the party that sponsored theircandidature in 2018which is the MDC Alliance party. Thokozani Khupe cannot legally withdraw MDC Alliance MPs but she can the 2 MPs for MDC-T that her party and the whole world knows she sponsored.
- Qn: Are MDC Alliance Assets and Properties secure? A: The party assets and properties are absolutely safe and secure. The party has registered patents and trademarks around the name MDC and its variants.
- Qn: Why did Chamisa appeal to the Supreme Court if its ruling diid not affect the MDC Alliance? A: There is confusion in the judiciary about the multiple and separate MDC political formations. The MDC Alliance did not want to fall victim to the confusion in a manner that would have disturbed the party from holding its congress in Gweru.
- Qn: What is the fate of Morgen Komichi and Mwonzora within the MDC Alliance party? A: The constitution of the party states that if a member supports another party his or her membership automatically terminates. The duo now supports another party lead (led) by Thokozani Khupe and as such their membership in the MDC Alliance has been terminated.
- Qn: If the MDC Alliance is a new party, why did it celebrate a 20th anniversary? A: The MDC Alliance is an intergration of 3 core parties whose leadership and membership are founding members of the MDC in 1999. They thereofore share and core own (co-own) the same history and values.