STATEMENT ON THE SECOND CONFIRMED CASE OF COVID-19 IN ZIMBABWE
Fellow Zimbabweans, Today, the 21st March 2020, the National Microbiology Reference Laboratory at Sally Mugabe Central Hospital confirmed yet another case of COVID-19 which brings to two the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Zimbabwe.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
This second patient is a 30-year-old male resident of Harare, who had travelled to New York, the United States of America on the 29th February 2020 and returned home in Harare on the 9th of March 2020 via Johannesburg. He started exhibiting mild symptoms (flu-like illness) on the 12th March 2020 which progressively got worse on the 19th March 2020.
He consulted with his doctor who advised him to self-isolate at home. The doctor alerted the local COVID-19 Rapid Response Team that immediately went to assess him and recommended that he continues with the self-isolation at home. Specimens were collected and sent to the Reference lab for testing.
Yesterday evening, he developed severe respiratory distress and after stabilisation at home, was admitted for isolation and clinical management at Wilkins Hospital.
The Reference lab confirmed his COVID-19 positive results early this morning. Our teams are now engaged in contact tracing and as with the first case, are being assisted by the patient himself.
Once again, we call upon everyone to remain calm as we manage these confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Zimbabwe.
In the meantime, I would like to emphasize the need for us to continue practising good personal hygiene.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently or use an alcohol-based hand-rub,
- Cover your nose and mouth with tissue paper or flexed elbow when coughing and sneezing
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick, coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid unnecessary travel especially to all countries with confirmed cases of COVID-19
I would also like to advise that the Ministry of Health and Child Care will continue to update the nation by issuing official statements regarding the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country as soon as the results are made available by the National Microbiology Reference laboratory.
Finally, let me take this opportunity to appreciate the leadership and guidance being provided by His Excellency The President, Cde. E. D. Mnangagwa in response to this pandemic.
Hon. Dr Obadiah Moyo (MP)
Minister of Health and Child Care
- Masvingo Couple Brutally Murdered
- ZRP, ZNA Members Perish In Horrific Road Accident Along Harare-Bulawayo Highway
- Zimbabwe Coronavirus/ COVID-19 Update: 25 September 2021
- Turkish Company Starts Implementing Phase 1 Of NRZ Deal