Zimbabwe’s Health Minister Dr Obadiah Moyo has said that authorities shall not withhold any information concerning the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
His remarks come when the death of a Mutare-based Chinese woman who had returned from China has prompted members of the public to suspect that she had contracted the virus. She died on her way to Wilkins where she was reportedly going for coronavirus tests.
Speaking to The Herald in an interview, Moyo said the information was of fundamental value to members of the public, therefore, authorities will be informing the public of developments. He said:
There is no reason why we should hide such a condition of international importance. Once we get confirmation, we will immediately circulate to everyone because there are also precautionary measures to be taken at individual level, so there is no reason for us to hide any confirmed case.
A situation report from Zimbabwe’s Ministry of Health and Child Care on the Coronavirus on March 8, 2020, Zimbabwe says that there are no cases of the Coronavirus in the country so far.
Meanwhile, there are 79 confirmed cases in Africa. Sadly, Egypt has confirmed 48 cases and one death, Algeria 17 cases, Cameroon 2, Morocco 2, Nigeria 1, Senegal 4, South Africa 3, Togo 1 and Tunisia 1.
More: The Herald