The government has assured members of the public that Zimbabwean students studying in the Chinese city of Wuhan are safe from the coronavirus outbreak that has claimed over 200 people worldwide.
Foreign Affairs deputy minister, David Musabayana, told the Daily News on Friday that the government has no plans to evacuate the over 1 000 students living in the city – the epicentre of the outbreak. He said:
The fact is that the Chinese government has put in place all the necessary measures to ensure that Zimbabwean students there are safe from the virus.
Over 1 000 students are studying there (Wuhan) and if anything happens, they will be taken care of.
The coronavirus was first detected in the Chinese city of Wuhan in early December last year and has affected almost 10 000 people worldwide, with over 200 people have died so far.
On January 30, the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the coronavirus a public health emergency of international concern and called for a coordinated global response to contain the virus.