Amalgamated Rural Teachers Union of Zimbabwe have issued a statement reiterating on the issues which the government has to address for them to effectively execute their duties and responsibilities.
Part of the statement which was posted on Facebook reads:
- Interbank pegged salaries using our old United States dollar salaries as benchmark
- A substantive rural retention attraction allowance to incentivize rural teachers
- An education equalization fund to enhance access to quality education for marginalized communities
- Fully Paid study leave for all teachers
- Restoration of the legally provided vacation leave
- Review of the new curriculum
- Devolution of education planning and management
- Expanding of social security to cover health care by a more transparent and accountable National Social Security Authority.
- The scrapping of the opaque pension contribution replaced with a more transparent system.
- Employment of more teachers to resolve the crisis of staff shortages.
The statement is issued when schools are reopening within a few weeks. Other teachers’ unions have since announced that they will not be going to work since they are incapacitated.