The Minister of Local Government, July Moyo has warned “unregistered” survivors of the Tropical Cyclone Idai against trying to benefit residential stands in the expected resettlement programme.
Speaking on Wednesday after talking to the majority of the survivors, Moyo said that they expressed the desire to be relocated from their current location. He added that only registered survivors will get residential stands. He said:
I have heard that there are at least 32 tents which are currently being occupied by unregistered survivors. They should not attempt to be given residential stands, they won’t stand a chance.
The survivors had earlier rejected the government’s offer to have them relocated to Nedziwa with some citing unfavourable farming conditions.
The cyclone destroyed houses and other properties and killed livestock in Manicaland whilst scores of residents, including popular traditional healer, Sekuru Ndunge, lost their lives.
More: ZBC News