Yet another scandal will rock the NSSA boat as it has emerged that heavy losses were incurred after another minister tempered with people’s pensions. According to The Standard, Petronella Kagonye who was the labour Minister from November 2017 to last year demanded 2 cars from NSSA for her own personal use. Kagonye is also said to have meddled in NSSA affairs and forced the cancellation of agreements that resulted in losses amounting to more than $40 Million.
According to the publication, Kagonye instructed directly or indirectly the following:
- A letter written by Ngoni Masoka read, The ministry is kindly requesting for a SUV or double-cab to be used by Honourable Petronella Kagonye until the ministry secures a vehicle from CMED
- In another letter, Masoka requested $66 000 from Nssa for the International Day of Persons with Disabilities celebrations in Caledonia where President Emmerson Mnangagwa was scheduled to officiate. Caledonia is in Kagonye’s former constituency. the money was for T-shirts, lunch (two-piece chicken and chips), Jah Prayzah’s live performance, and paying the director of ceremonies, among other items.
- In March 2018 just three months before the elections, she also wanted NSSA to make a similar donation to a school in Ruwa, again in her constituency.
- Kagonye instructed an immediate moratorium on NSSA investments, forcing the authority to accumulate a huge cash balance around May 2018.Kagonye then instructed NSSA to give the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe US$60 million in cash before the July 2018 elections in exchange for Treasury Bills. Insiders now fear that NSSA will lose out in the deal after Zimbabwe abandoned the multi-currency regime in June.
- During Kagonye’s tenure, NSSA was also forced to pay US$10 million in annual fees to an information technology solutions provider even after the authority’s own investigations done in five African countries showed that the fees could actually be as low as US$250 000.
- During Kagonye’s tenure, the ministry also meddled in the appointment of staff at NSSA, it has been revealed. Masoka on Behalf of Kagonye wrote to Chitiga on February 19 ordering that one Lameck Danga should be appointed ahead of Gift Shoko because he had been with NSSA since its inception.( Despite 8/9 board members having approved of Gift Shoko)
Ngoni Masoka who reportedly wrote most of these letter to NSSA was the permanent secretary in Kagonye’s Ministry. In a similar public office abuse case, Prisca Mupfumira has been in remand following criminal abuse of office at NSSA since July 2019 Prisca allegedly siphoned $95 Million from NSSA during her tenure as labour minister. The Standard claims it has documents that reveal everything they have published about Kagonye.
More: The Standard