The Bulawayo 24 published this story of a Kalanga Pilot who was born and bred in Matebeleland South Province at Burnapeg business centre. The Pilot who is a Kalanga shared hos story with the publication and here is what we learnt:
- Simon Talon Moyo was born on the 24th November 1960 on the floor of his parents’ kitchen.
- He did his primary level education in the area- Grade 1-5 at St Anna and 6-7 at Brunapeg Primary school respectively
- After completing his primary education in 1975, Moyo proceeded to do his secondary education at Mzilikazi High School in Bulawayo the city of Kings between 1976 and 1979. Moyo then went on to do his A levels at Mpopoma High School in 1980 finishing in 1981
- Moyo said he love for flying came as he went for a school trip when he was still in primary to the airport and he was immediately convinced he wanted to be a pilot.
- He started our his pilot training with the airforce of Zimbabwe in 1982. They were 18 trainees, 9 white and 9 black students. Each black apprentice was selected from each of the then 9 provinces.
- By the time he was done, there were only 2 blacks and 7 whites remaining.
- While with the Airforce, Moyo flew a number of planes including the Boeing 737, 707 and Being 767 as well as the Airbus 340 to 500.Despite his humble beginnings
More: Bulawayo 24