MDC Secretary for Education, Arts, Sports and Culture, Advocate Fadzayi Mahere has prescribed four measures that should be adopted to make national sports teams successful in future. She said:
Sports Admin Lessons from AFCON & NWC:
1. Player contracts must be finalized weeks before a national team goes into camp.
- Click link to join Pindula News on WhatsApp: https://chat.whatsapp.com/I6vlGSjeguY3mkwFCX6vDj
2. Fundraising and financial planning must start way ahead of time.
3. Player welfare must always come first.
4. Unnecessary officials must be excluded.
Mahere’ remarks come after the national football team, the Warriors’ humiliation at the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt last month.
The Warriors were eclipsed 4-0 by the Democratic Republic of Congo and exited the tournament without winning a single match.
The Warriors had several run-ins with the local Football Association (ZIFA) over allowances, threatening to pull out of the tournament several times.
Reports on Thursday (today) claimed that the Zimbabwe World Cup netball team held a meeting over contracts a few hours before playing Malawi, a match in which they were expected to win, but lost.