The Council of Southern African Football Associations (COSAFA) has responded to ZIFA’s letter in which the latter wanted to recall Phillip Chiyangwa from the regional body. Chiyangwa is the COSAFA president.
The COSAFA letter reads:
Re: ZIFA ALLEGATIONS AGAINST RD PHILLIP CHIYANGWA
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -
We received your letter dated 10th July 2019, the contents of which have been noted and we respond as follows:
- Your allegations against the former President of ZIFA, whether founded or unfounded, are domestic and should, therefore, be dealt with in Zimbabwe. These issues have nothing to do with COSAFA;
- The President of COSAFA was duly elected by the General Assembly of COSAFA in December 2016 under Article 10.3 of the Statutes;
- The Zimbabwe Football Association does not have the right to “recall Dr Phillip Chiyangwa as COSAFA President” despite his nationality;
- The Zimbabwe Football Association, a member of COSAFA should not seek to use the Office of the President of COSAFA to resolve domestic disputes and in so doing, bring the Zonal Union and the Presidency into disrepute;
- It is the prerogative of any Member Association to consider whether or not to participate in the activities of the Zonal Union.
We trust that the Association will act responsibly and seek to resolve any differences so that the focus of the leadership can be on football development and reaching the full and considerable potential which Zimbabwe has.