Most of the residential areas in Bulawayo have now gone for eight days without running water following massive refurbishment works at the city’s reservoirs since last week.
The refurbishment works were initially scheduled to be completed on Saturday but the council extended the period by another 24 hours.
However, as of Monday suburbs such as Nkulumane, Tshabalala, Sizinda, Newton West, Emakhandeni and Luveve were still without water according to a Chronicle report.
In a statement issued on Monday, Bulawayo Town Clerk Mr Christopher Dube said that all areas in the city will have water on Tuesday (today). He said:
Delays should be expected at Criterion and Magwegwe reservoirs as the water level has dropped to 1.25 metres at Criterion.
The water treatment capacity at the plant is still very minimal due to ongoing works. The plant is currently not working at full capacity.
All areas that did not receive water are scheduled to be opened in the morning of 9 July 2019.
The Magwegwe reservoir level has dropped down to a critical level, 7 feet, due to high consumption.
All areas fed by the reservoir have thus been closed. Magwegwe reservoir is largely fed from the Criterion reservoir which is still operating at minimum capacity.
The water crisis has come at a time when the city is implementing the Bulawayo Water and Sewerage Services Improvement Project (BWSSIP) funded by the African Development Bank.
The aim of the programme is to improve municipal water supply and sanitation services in the city.