General Auditor’s report, that was tabled before Parliament, by Justice Minister, Ziyambi Ziyambi disclosed massive corruption at the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA). The corruption reportedly happened during former president Robert Mugabe’s reign..
In her report, Auditor-General Mildred Chiri divulged that among several other questionable activities, ZTA did the following:
- made unauthorised contributions to political rallies believed to be for the ruling Zanu PF
- donated $50 000 at weddings, 10 tonnes of maize seed and 50 Singer sewing machines.
- spent some $4 000 on cellphone bills under the line item “ministry-related expenses”.
- spent $35 868 in 2013, $154 174 in 2014 and $189 880 in 2015 (unbudgeted for on ministry related expenses).
- advanced an interest-free loan of $20 000 to one of the board members. Repaid over three years.
- executive directors awarded themselves a monthly fuel allocation of $2 000.
The authority also spent huge amounts of money repairing (Tourism) ministry vehicles, fuel and travelling costs of ministry officials.
ZTA also purchased several motor vehicles, including a Mercedes Benz S600 valued at $13 333 and a Mercedes Benz S350 with a carrying amount of $134 000. The vehicles were however registered in the names of third parties.
The spending happened when ZTA had incurred a deficit of $796 000 in 2015 from $969 000 in 2014.
Mrs Chiri also observed that ZTA CEO, Karikoga Kaseke spent 13 years at the institution without a valid contract of employment. The report further read:
There was no contract of employment for the chief executive. The reference point of the conditions of service for the chief executive was his contract of employment with his previous employer.
More: The Standard
Zimbabwe Tourism Authority (ZTA) is a corporate body responsible for tourism promotion, planning and development, research and the enforcement of standards and services. To this end, the organiation's mission is to promote the sustainable growth and development of tourism in Zimbabwe for the social and... Read More About Zimbabwe Tourism Authority
Robert Mugabe is the former President of Zimbabwe. He was the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe from 1987 to November 2017. Prior to this, he was the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe since the attainment of independence in 1980. Mugabe resigned from his presidency on... Read More About Robert Mugabe
Karikoga Kaseke has been the boss of the Zimbabwe Tourism Authority since July 2005. The body works closely with the Ministry of Tourism and Hospitality to promote tourism in Zimbabwe. The ZTA also runs the Miss Zimbabwe beauty pageant with the aim of equipping Zimbabwean... Read More About Karikoga Kaseke