High Court Overturns Police Ban On Planned Demonstration

Social Activists under the banner National Youth Organisation (NAYO) were last week issued an order by a Harare High Court Judge allowing them to proceed with a planned demonstration.

The Youth had notified the police of their intention to march in protest against what they consider shrinking civic space.

Police, however, banned the proposed demonstration, saying the country was still reeling from the effects of January’s ShutDownZim protests.

NAYO programs officer, Macdonald Munyoro said that the demonstration will go ahead on Tuesday this week according to NewZimbabwe.com. He said:

Yes, the High Court has granted our application and we are going into the streets to exercise our rights to assembly and demonstration. We also intend to petition Parliament and this will happen next week (this week).

In terms of specific days, we are looking at either Tuesday or Wednesday.

ShutDownZim refers to the riots that rocked the country between 14-16 January as citizens demonstrated against the government’s decision to raise the price of fuel by over 150 per cent.

More than 15 people were reportedly killed by live ammunition while more than a thousand were arrested.

Related:

More: NewZimbabwe.com

Comments

Back to top

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published.