An accident which claimed the lives of 14 people in Hwedza on Monday has been declared a State of Disaster.
7 people died on the spot while 7 later succumbed to injuries when a truck carrying maize side-swiped a bus which had encroached into its lane along Hweza-Mutiweshiri road.
The truck hit a Toyota Hilux and ploughed into Mugodhi Apostolic Church members who were standing by the roadside, waiting for transport.
Meanwhile, the Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) has revealed some (11) of the names of the victims of the accident. These are as follows:
- Paul Mupombwa (50) of Zinhanga village
- Tabeth Viola Mupombwa (75) of Zinhanga village
- Elite Shambamuto (5) of Shambamuto village
- Eugenia Mutema (80) of Mutema village
- Sekai Chikukwa (70) of Mutema village, Chief Nyashanu
- Patricia Garwe (36) of Mukamba village (Chief Ruzanhe), Wedza
- Elisha Mubaira (45) of Ndangwe village under Chief Nyashanu
- Edna Chinoda (70) of Marume village under Chief Nyashanu, Buhera.
- Josephine Kwaramba (60) of Chawatama school, Chief Nyashanu
- Sheilla Mukamba (23)
- Isaac Pamhanzi (29).
More: The Herald
Hwedza is a district in Mashonaland East Province. Read More About Hwedza
The Zimbabwe Republic Police is the country's law enforcing and maintaining organ. It was established in 1980 evolving from the Rhodesian Police and incorporated members from both the Rhodesian and the nationalist forces. It operates under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Read More About Zimbabwe Republic Police