The chairman of the Grain Millers’ Association of Zimbabwe (GMAZ), Mr. Tafadzwa Musarara has hinted on mealie meal price increase. He says this would be in response to the 70% increase in producer prices.
Musarara notes that despite the nation having grain to take it through to the harvest time, the set producer prices cannot be ignored. The chairman noted:
Government has increased the price of maize by a huge margin and we appreciate the reasons for doing that.
We are also grateful that they have given us a 38 percent subsidy, the net effect of it is that maize has gone up by close to 70 percent and it’s a cost that we can’t absorb.
So, therefore, today’s meeting was to discuss the next maize meal prices. We have agreed on when we are going to increase it but we can’t announce to you before we advise the Government on the increase in prices of mealie meal. But we will be advising Government today (yesterday) on the net effect of that but there is going to be an increase, we can’t stomach 70 percent.
- Biti Condemns Maize Producer Price Controls
- Enough Maize Grain In Stock, Says Shiri
- Govt Says Zim Has Enough Maize For 7 Months
- Farmers To Push For Producer Price Increase If Maize Seed Price Remains High
- No Reason For Maize Seed Producers To Hike Prices- Industry Minister
More: The Chronicle