In a letter addressed to youth groups, the Zimbabwe Republic Police said it could not give the green light to a planned demonstration as, among other reasons, people are still nursing the effects of the 14-16 January demonstrations. The letter reads as follows:
NOTIFICATION TO HOLD SOLIDARITY MARCH TO PETITION PARLIAMENT ON SHRINKING CIVIC SPACE
1. The above subject matter is pertinent,
2. This office acknowledges receipt of your notification letter dated 2 April 2019 in which you intend to hold a solidarity march on the 11th of April 2019, from 1000 hours to 1130 hours in the CBD of Harare.
3. We, however, regret to inform you that your march cannot proceed due to the following reasons:
- People are still nursing the effects of the 14-16 January 2019 demonstrations that resulted in the loss of lives and destruction of property.
- The previous week was characterised by threats of demonstrations by civic organisations which posed security risks.
- Your march might be hijacked by some rogue and unruly elements who thrive on the destruction of property and not worried about the consequences of their activities.
4. Any inconveniences are sincerely regretted.
5. Thank you in advance for your co-operation.
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.