Tropical Cyclone Idai has hit Zimbabwe starting with the Eastern parts of the country.
The cyclone is accompanied by strong winds and there is a risk of flooding in low lying areas. Cyclone Idai is expected to influence local weather conditions between 15 to 17 March. Below is an update on the rescue efforts by Government as supplied by the Information ministry:
- Chimanimani has been hit hard. Areas affected include Chimanimani urban, Charleshood Farm, Machongwe, Vumba and Kopa Growth Point. Haroni River in Ward 12 has burst its banks. Nyahonde River at Kopa business centre has burst.
- Power disrupted in the Chimanimani area. Some bridges have been swept away cutting access. Bridge at Pondo Farm has been swept away. Manase Village has also been adversely affected and communication is a challenge.
- Rescue efforts hampered by darkness but the Airforce of Zimbabwe has been deployed to move people to safety.
- Total confirmed fatalities-15 Injuries – 15 In Chipinge Ward 13, 7 houses destroyed.
- Chipinge Ward 15, 30 house damaged.
- Chimanimani ZCDC Compound-13 houses destroyed occupants marooned on top of mountain waiting to be rescued. Winds hampering flights. Wind puts the helicopter at risk of crashing
- Charles Luwanga school has requested the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education to close the school. The request was granted. What’s left is to rescue pupils from the school.
- Roman Catholic Authorities responsible Charles Luwanga School seek food for the pupils whilst they wait for transportation for the pupils from the school.
- he number of missing people is currently 40. The fatalities include 2 students. The ZNA is seized with the rescue effort but bridges that got swept away are slowing down their efforts
- Total number of people who have died is confirmed at 24 mainly from Chimanimani East
- Chipinge Ward 1 – 16 huts damaged Ward 7- 8 huts damaged Ward 8- 35 huts damaged Ward 13 – 7 huts damaged Ward 8 – 1 house damaged Total homeless 5 people
- Mutare Ward 22 – 15 house damaged Ward 21 – 1 house damaged Ward 15- 1 house damaged Ward 7- 1 house damaged
- Bridges either swept away or submerged in water -Biriiri -Muusha -Charter -Matsororo -Nyamatanda
- The ZNA has rescued the pupils from St Charles Luwanga and they are now at Skyline. The first batch of pupils is expected to be in Mutare tomorrow morning
- - - Buy NetOne, Telecel Airtime on WhatsApp using EcoCash.
Send the word Airtime to +263 714 815 229
No extra charges. - - -