Two farmers from Nyamadlovu lost a combined 10 beasts after a herdboy unknowingly gave them a pesticide believing that it was a chemical for treating intestinal infections.
Beverage Sibanda of Epping Forest in Nyamandlovu area lost six cattle from a herd of nine while Mr William Moyo of the same area lost four cattle from his herd of eight. Speaking to Sunday News, Sibanda said:
We both work in Bulawayo and we had to rush to Nyamandlovu after being told that our cattle had been poisoned. What happened is that a day before the incident occurred I had received stalk borer chemicals from South Africa and when the herdboy came to get the chemicals there was only a young girl at home who gave him the stalk borer powder.
He then realised he used the wrong chemical when the cattle began to collapse one by one after their licked the chemical. He rushed to call the Veterinary Services who advised him to administer grounded charcoal mixed with water to the cattle. All the cattle were down but a few survived after being given the solution.
We do appreciate that accidents happen and we cannot punish the helper for one mistake. I also know that we did not have much, but the little that we had was really helpful in carrying out farming activities.
More: Sunday News
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.