The Herald reports that the expansion of the Hwange Power plant project has begun in earnest. Laying of the foundation store has now started.
The main points about the project:
- The company implementing the project is called Hwange Electricity Supply Company (HESCO)
- It is a partnership between Zimbabwe Power Company (ZPC) and Sinohydro
- It’s expected to employ more than 3,000 people. 450 are already employed.
- The expansion is expected to be completed in 2022
- At completion generation of power from the power station will double from the current 600MW to 1200MW.
- Currently, even though it generates 600MW it has a capacity of generating 600MW.
- The project cost US $1,488 billion which is being funded by China Exim Bank, Sinohydro and Government through Infrastructure Development Bank of Zimbabwe.
- It’s not clear what the split is or what the deal for the Chinese is.
Energy and Power Development Minister Dr. Joram Gumbo said yesterday at the site:
The inception of the expansion works, the project has seen considerable progress on the ground and is on schedule.
Today marks an important milestone. The process of laying the foundation signifies the commencement of real construction works in a journey that will take us to the promised land of security of electricity supply as we set our sights towards the successful implementation of Vision 2030 which will transform Zimbabwe into an upper middle class economy
More: The Herald
Transform Zimbabwe is a political party in Zimbabwe their aim is to cultivate leaders from all walks of life whose inner spiritual transformation, both in their private and public life, makes them exemplary. We have to work together as a people to find ways we... Read More About Transform Zimbabwe
Zimbabwe Power Company (ZPC) is a state-owned power generation company in Zimbabwe mandated by government to generate electricity for the domestic market. ZPC was incorporated in 1996 as the Zimbabwe Electricity Supply Authority Holdings (ZESA) investment vehicle in the power sector and it became operational... Read More About Zimbabwe Power Company