Former Minister for Tourism and Hospitality Management Walter Mzembi is fit to stand trial on abuse of office charges. State prosecutors told the Harare magistrates court on Monday that Mzembi, who is said to be suffering from colon cancer, is fit to stand trial
A video of Mzembi circulating on social media convinced prosecutor Brian Vito that the former minister has been feigning illness all along to abscond trial. Said Vito:
We were considering separation of trial of Mzembi and other co-accused since his lawyer said he is not well to stand trial and we do not know when he will appear in court.
However, what we are seeing in social media is proving otherwise and we now need to do an investigation on current medical reports to appraise us whether he is really not fit to appear in court.
Mzembi’s lawyer Job Sikhala last week said:
The circumstances are beyond all of us, I had to fly to South Africa to get my own personal assessment of the condition of my client on Saturday and my client is seriously indisposed to stand trial.
Accused will not be able to stand trial, not in the near future. Join us in prayer so that he gets through this. It is something very serious and on the next date, I don’t think anything would have changed.