A fire broke out on Saturday afternoon and engulfed part of the theatre ward at Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals. The fire is suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault.
The fire is said to have destroyed some equipment, drugs and patients’ records. Patients were left in a state of shock at the Mbuya Nehanda Maternity ward.
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
However, there were no casualties as staff and visitors managed to shift babies and expecting mothers. The Harare City Fire Department reacted quickly to douse the inferno.
President Emmerson Mnangagwa visited the Hospital on Friday during a cleanup campaign where bemoaned the state of the infrastructure which is very much dilapidated.
Last year a fire broke out on a Saturday, November 17 afternoon at Mpilo General Hospital where it destroyed doctors’ quarters.
More: ZBC News
Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals is the largest health services provider in Zimbabwe with a number of hospitals located in Harare. It has a capacity of about 1 800 patients' beds and a staff compliment of 2 000. It was established in 1890 in the then... Read More About Parirenyatwa Group of Hospitals
Mbuya Nehanda Charwe Nyakasikana was the spirit medium that was the inspiration behind the 1896-97 First Chimurenga war. She was based in the northern plateau of Mashonaland (specifically the Mazowe Valley,) and was influential in resisting colonial encroachment and she used her religious authority to... Read More About Mbuya Nehanda