Zimbabwe Human Rights Commission Recommendations following the protect violence of 14 January 2019 and the police & military crackdown that followed
1) The ZHRC calls upon Government to take the lead in convening a platform for national dialogue with partners in all sectors including captains of industry, labour unions, independent commissions, civil society, the opposition and ordinary citizens in order to find lasting solutions to the prevailing economic challenges to ensure respect and observance of human rights and promote peace and security in the country.
2) Government must put in place a mechanism to ensure compensation for those that have been victims of military and police brutality.
3) The use of live ammunition by the army and the police to deal with civil disturbances must stop as this leads to loss of life and serious injuries amongst the citizens and is a gross violation of human rights.
4) Parliament must ensure the implementation of Section 210 of the Constitution by enacting a law for an effective and independent mechanism for receiving and investigating complaints from members of the public about misconduct on the part of members of the security services, and for remedying any harm caused by such misconduct.
5) Government must work to ratify the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
6) The Government of Zimbabwe must respect the citizens’ right to demonstrate and petition as provided for in Section 59 of the Constitution. At the same time, citizens of Zimbabwe are reminded that the right to demonstrate comes with a responsibility to ensure that the demonstrations are peaceful and do not lead to the violations of the rights of others.
7) The Police must properly investigate cases whenever an offence is alleged to have been committed instead of using crackdowns and dragnets to arrest citizens, many of whom would not be linked to the commission of the alleged offences.
You have already submitted your feedback. If you would like to add more feedback please write us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zimbabwe National Cricket Team
- Rwendo 1993 (Film)
- Doroty Rowesai Chiota
- Babys Fellistas Jack
- ARTICLE NAME
- Tavengwa Mukuhlani
- Jim Mpalale
- Sandengu Philip Negombwe
- Holy Ten