In a statement last night Health and Child Care Secretary Dr Gerald Gwinji said disciplinary hearings against doctors who participated in the industrial action will be fair and transparent and will continue to be conducted as scheduled.
Gwinji encouraged striking doctors returning to work to subject themselves to the disciplinary hearings. He said information being peddled that all who presented themselves for the hearings will severely be dealt with and dismissed summarily was ‘inaccurate and misleading.’ He said senior doctors are part of the hearings as part of the tribunals and observers to ensure fairness and transparency to the whole process. Said Gwinji:
While we cannot determine outcomes of disciplinary procedure, we would like to assure all affected that fair and transparent disciplinary procedures are and will continue to be carried out. As per the request by the affected doctors, their consultants have been incorporated into the hearings as part of their tribunals and as observers to demonstrate transparency and fairness of the disciplinary procedures. Ministry therefore encourage affected doctors to subject themselves to due processes and appreciates the commitment of those who have presented themselves for this process. We thank those doctors who have resumed duties at their station.
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
Disciplinary hearings against doctors who participated in the industrial action started last week Friday and to date, 35 members have presented themselves. As of yesterday, 238 members did not appear the hearings. The disciplinary hearings were necessitated by the Labour Court ruling which declared the industrial action, which entered day 39 today as illegal.