I would like to believe that up until the 2018 elections, many people if given a Zimbabwean map would fail to locate Chiredzi in a whim. We just know that sugar comes from Chiredzi, Chiredzi is a small town and the jokes that went viral in August when election results were announced.
It’s so humbling to discover that Chiredzi is a place full of character and activities that a holidaymaker can enjoy. Before my epiphany, I for one would never have thought of visiting Chiredzi for any reason not even a stay at Singita Pamushana would tempt me. It’s so humbling to discover that Chiredzi is equally good a holiday destination like any other resort town.
Are you coming home for the festive season? Do you want a different adventure from what you are used to? Here are some 8 things you can do in Chiredzi and totally enjoy:
- The Gonarezhou National Park – In some parts of this park you can actually walk and encounter small wildlife animals and test your photography skills.
- The Machangani Culture and Art Festival – the festivities include fishing and a cultural fair called The Great Limpopo Cultural fair usually performed by the local people.
- The Crocodile Farm – who knew that you can visit a crocodile farm in Chiredzi? The crocodile breeders mainly breed these reptiles for exporting purposes.
- The Famous Malilangwe Reserve – home to the infamous black rhino and a lot of rock art sites which will help you develop your photography skills more.
- Golf – for the sake of those who can’t do without the sport, Chiredzi has you in mind.
- The Samalema Pools – would it be a vacation without a visit to an African pool?
- The Red Mahogany Big Tree – rumored to be one of the largest trees in Southern Africa with a trunk diameter of over 4 meters, it may just be nice to confirm that and check it off your list.
- The Save Valley Wildlife Conservancy – this is a holiday haven with lots of activities and animals to see.
And for those who can charter planes, there is a fully functional airport in Chiredzi, there is no need to drive to the small haven. Apart from the high temperatures, Chiredzi is nothing short of a perfect getaway