Zanu-PF has redeployed some of the former cabinet ministers who were recently axed by President Emmerson Mnangagwa to head party departments at the Zanu-PF headquarters, where they will be working full time. The department heads who are termed secretaries will have full ministerial status and perks as they are said to be equal or more senior to those in government. However, the Secretary for the Youth League and the Secretary for the Women’s League do not have the same status.
The department heads with full ministerial status are
- Obert Mpofu – Secretary for Administration
- Chris Mushowe – Secretary for Economic Affairs
- Paul Mangwana – Secretary for Legal Affairs
- Patrick Chinamasa – Secretary for Finance
- Engelbert Rugeje – Secretary for Commissariat
- Simbabrashe Mumbengegwi – Secretary for External Affairs
- Douglas Mahiya – Secretary for War Veterans.
A secretary for security is yet to named. Commenting on the redeployments, Zanu-PF’s representative in the United Kingdom and Europe, Nick Mangwana said,
Zanu PF has a lot commercial interests and membership. It has local corporate backing and can afford to pay its Executives perks which are higher than those paid to Ministers…These are senior party members deployed to work for the party full time. They will help rebuild the party and enjoy perks and status that reflect that seniority to those in government.