The United States Embassy has issued a press statement warning United States citizens to avoid avoid the Central Business District.
We publish the full statement below:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
Due to multiple demonstrations and reports of gun shots in the Central Business District, the U.S. Embassy encourages American Citizens to avoid the Central Business District (in general the area bounded by Samora Machel Avenue on the north, Fourth Street on the east, Rotten Row on the west, and Lytton Road/ Chinhoyi Street on the south).
As the political situation in Zimbabwe remains uncertain, you should remain safely at home or in your accommodations as much as possible. If you must go out, use caution, stick to routes familiar to you, and travel during daylight hours. Be prepared for traffic checkpoints.
U.S. citizens should:
- Remain indoors in a safe location;
- Avoid demonstrations and all public gatherings;
- Have extra food, water and medication on hand;
- Establish a communication plan with your friends and family so they know when to expect to hear from you;
- Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings and local events, and monitor local news stations for updates;
- Be vigilant and take steps to enhance your personal security; and
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s Travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Zimbabwe Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Rotten Row is a road in Harare that begins at the intersection of Prince Edward Street and Samora Machel Avenue. The road runs to the flyover near Mbare where it becomes Cripps Road. Rotten Row was named after a road in London of the same... Read More About Rotten Row
Chinhoyi is a town located in Makonde District, Mashonaland West Province. It is the administrative capital of the province. The town has a historical significance attached to it. It has also been celebrated for its natural wonders which include the Chinhoyi Caves. Read More About Chinhoyi