Former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Walter Mzembi who is facing several cases of fraud including charges of stealing $1,6 million meant for the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) congress in 2013, had his passport returned to him by the court. Harare Magistrate Milton Serima returned the passport after Mzembi told that court that he is battling gastric intestinal cancer. The former minister said that he underwent surgery in May and will need at least a year of post-surgery reviews. This was confirmed by medical records from a South African doctor.
Magistrate Serima also cancelled a warrant of arrest which had been issued for Mzembi after he failed to appear in court and violated his bail conditions.
Mzembi was remanded to August 31 for trial.
More: New Zimbabwe