Image Credit: Privilege Musvanhiri (@Musvanhiri)
The High Court has ordered the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (Zec) to provide independent electoral watchdog, the Electoral Resource Centre (ERC) with a copy of the provisional voters’ roll. This follows a challenge by the ERC which was heard on an urgent basis on the 29th of May 2018. However, judgement was reserved and only released today. Part of the order from Justice Tawanda Chitapi reads,
In the premises, I determine that the following order shall issue as the relief granted.
1. The respondent (ZEC) is ordered to furnish the applicant (ERC) with the Provisional Voters’ Roll which it used for the inspection exercise of the general public during the period that the same lay open for inspection in the period 19-29 May, 2018.
2. The Provisional Voters’ Roll aforesaid shall be furnished to the applicant in printed or electronic form as the applicant may request, provided that the applicant pays the prescribed fee as provided for in s 21 (3) of the Electoral Act [Chapter2:13] as amended.
3. The respondent shall furnish the applicant with the Provisional Voters’ Roll in the form it requests it within a reasonable period following payment of the prescribed fees.
4. For the avoidance of doubt, the reasonable period within which the respondent should furnish the applicant with the copy of the Provisional Voters Roll as per this order is hereby determined to be no more than 5 working days following payment of the prescribed fees.
5. The applicant’s legal practitioner is granted leave to serve the copy of this provisional order upon the respondent.
The High Court of Zimbabwe is one of the Superior Courts of Zimbabwe. The High Court deals at first instance with all high value and high importance cases. It also has a supervisory jurisdiction over all subordinate courts and tribunals. Appeals from the High Court... Read More About High Court
The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) is an independent body which controls and or manages all election processes at all levels in Zimbabwe. Despite being registered as a non-partisan body, ZEC has been criticised for aligning itself with the Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU... Read More About Zimbabwe Electoral Commission