The government of Botswana has announced that on Saturday President Emmerson Mnangagwa together with his Botswana and Zambia counterparts, President Ian Khama and President Edgar Lungu will tour Kazungula Bridge to check on its progress. The Kazungula project is a collaboration between Zambia and Botswana and once complete, the bridge will link Botswana and Zambia while bypassing Zimbabwe completely.
A statement from the government of Botswana reads:
Introducing the Pindula News Mobil App
Download from Google Play Store
KAZUNGULA BRIDGE PROJECT SITE VISIT BY PRESIDENT KHAMA, PRESIDENT LUNGU, AND PRESIDENT MNANGAGWA
His Excellency Lt. Gen. Dr. Seretse Khama Ian Khama, His Excellency Edgar Lungu and His Excellency Emmerson Mnangagwa will visit Kasane on Saturday 10th March at 0900hrs to appreciate progress of the Kazungula Bridge Project.
1. The Kazungula Bridge Project (KBP) is a multi-national project on the North-South Corridor (NSC) within the SADC region. The project is being implemented by Botswana and Zambia.
2. The project will facilitate trade through;
• Reduced transit time for freight and passengers
• Reduced time-based trade and transport cost
• Improved Border management operations arising from the new One Stop Border Facilities.
3. The project will contribute to boosting of regional economy through:
• Increased traffic throughout along the North South Corridor;
• Increased global competitiveness of goods through the corridor and regional integrated infrastructure as a function of reduced time-based trade and transport cost; and
• Reduction of transit time from three days to less than half a day (hours).
4. The project entails:
• Construction of a 923m long rail/road extra dosed cable stayed bridge including approach roads;
• Construction of One Stop Border Pots (OSBP)- Botswana/Zambia
• Resettlement of the Lumbo Village in Zambia.