MDC-T acting president Nelson Chamisa has received an update fromn the party’s Head of Security and Intelligence Giles Mutsekwa on the investigation into the attack of Thokozani Khupe at the burial of Morgan Tsvangirai.
Mutsekwa said that preliminary investigations point to a security breach. He blames Khupe’s security team for not being vigilant before adding that the full investigation will be done in a week. Below are Mutsekwa’s talking points:
1. We have just given the Acting President a preliminary report on what happened. Our preliminary finding is that there was a serious security breach in terms of our standing operational procedures:
Security details travelling with VIPs are supposed to be in constant communication with security details on the ground including indicating ETAs on major public events including rallies. This communication did not take place. We are in the process of digging deeper into this breach in addition to identifying the culprits
2. I am leading a committee of four. Work has already started and it is our belief that all things being equal the final report will be ready in about 7 days or so.
3. Our team’s terms of reference is to establish what exactly happened, establish whether there was any outside interference, were proper operational procedures followed, findings of the committee, who are the culprits the opinion of the committee and then make recommendations to the Acting President
4. People are volunteering information such as video evidence which will assist the committee.
5. We are taking this issue seriously and we intend to ensure we discharge of our mandate without fear or favour