Former Prime Minister and veteran opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai died in South Africa on Wednesday after succumbing to colon cancer. He are some of the memorable quotes from Tsvangirai’s two decades in the opposition fighting against former President Robert Mugabe and his Zanu-PF party.
- From the day I was born, there has always existed a huge disconnect between the stories often told by the elite and those I hear from ordinary people about our country although we live in the places; and witness the same events around us.
- The editorial policies of the state newspapers and the state broadcaster has remained partisan and unreformed, and the media field remains dominated by the same partisan state players.
- There is a greater and thicker plot around this issue which has undermined my confidence in this relationship. The marriage has been hijacked and there is an apparent active political hand that is now driving the processes. State security agents have weighed in to force and direct proceedings, which has resulted in everything regarding this relationship now taking place on camera. The intention is clear: to inflict maximum damage on my person and character for political gain. (Speaking of his divorce from Locardia Karimatsenga)
- We do not want to put people deliberately in harm’s way because of the current lack of accountability in government.
- Yes, they brutalised my flesh. But they will never break my spirit. I will soldier on until Zimbabwe is free. (After he was brutally assaulted by state agents)
- For too long, our people’s hopes for a bright and prosperous future have been betrayed. Instead of hope, their days have been filled with starvation, disease and fear. A culture of entitlement and impunity has brought our nation to the brink of a dark abyss. This must end today”. (Inauguration speech as Zimbabwe’s Prime Minister)
- Economic collapse has forced millions of our most able to flee the country seeking menial jobs, for which they are often overqualified but underpaid. They have had to leave their children behind to be cared for by the elderly, who do not have the resources to feed them and watch in despair as these flowers of our nation wilt and die. This must end today. (Inauguration speech as Zimbabwe’s Prime Minister)
- We have nothing to show for our independence, except overwhelming poverty.
- That lesson is never to take the people for granted (Speech at the launch of the MDC Alliance)
- What we want to tell you Mugabe today is that please go peacefully, if you do not go peacefully, we will remove you violently. We want peace in this country and we want national healing.
Morgan Tsvangirai was a Zimbabwean politician and leader of the Movement for Democratic Change party and Trade Unionist. He was Prime Minister of Zimbabwe during the Government of National Unity era from 2008 and 2013. Tsvangirai died on 14 February 2018 at a hospital in... Read More About Morgan Tsvangirai
The MDC Alliance is a coalition of seven opposition parties that was launched on the 5th of August, 2017 at the Zimbabwe Grounds in Highfield, with the aim to challenge Zanu-PF in the 2018 harmonised elections. The electoral coalition brought together MDC-T and former MDC... Read More About MDC Alliance
Robert Mugabe is the former President of Zimbabwe. He was the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe from 1987 to November 2017. Prior to this, he was the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe since the attainment of independence in 1980. Mugabe resigned from his presidency on... Read More About Robert Mugabe