Zimbabwe has received the news that Morgan Tsvangirai, the icon of the opposition’s fight against the Zanu-PF government, has died. As the MDC-T leader is remembered, here are 5 things some may not know about him:
1. Tsvangirai was the eldest in a family of nine.
2. He left school at the age of 16 to become a textile weaver to support his family.
3. Tsvangirai had earlier on joined active politics in the 1987 and 1989 after leading a series of strikes against the ZANU-PFgovernment’s tax increases when he was the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions Secretary-General.
4. He became the first man to defeat former Zim president Robert Mugabe in an election since 1980 after winning the 2008 Presidential election. He however didn’t become president as Zanu-PF unleashed a wave of political violence which resulted in the death of hundreds of MDC members.
5. Tsvangirai was once arrested and detained by the Zimbabwe Republic Police in 1989 on allegations of spying to the South African apartheid government.
Morgan Tsvangirai was a Zimbabwean politician and leader of the Movement for Democratic Change party and Trade Unionist. He was Prime Minister of Zimbabwe during the Government of National Unity era from 2008 and 2013. Tsvangirai died on 14 February 2018 at a hospital in... Read More About Morgan Tsvangirai
The Movement for Democratic Change which was known as MDC was formed in September in 1999 out of the labor and civic movement under the banner of the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions (ZCTU).It was reported to be a strong organized political party with the... Read More About MDC
Robert Mugabe is the former President of Zimbabwe. He was the President of the Republic of Zimbabwe from 1987 to November 2017. Prior to this, he was the Prime Minister of Zimbabwe since the attainment of independence in 1980. Mugabe resigned from his presidency on... Read More About Robert Mugabe