Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) Commissioner-General Augustine Chihuri has been fired after more than 23 years in charge of the country’s police force. Chihuri’s dismissal comes on the same day that the Zimbabwe Defence forces announced the end of Operation Restore Legacy and the return of the ZRP to normal duty. The former Commissioner-General was heckled and booed by the crowd when he was pledging his loyalty and allegiance to President Emmerson Mnangagwa at his inauguration ceremony in November 2017. Chihuri will be replaced by Deputy Commissioner General Godwin Matanga in the interim until a new Substantive Commissioner General is appointed.
Commander of the Zimbabwe Defence Forces (CDF) General Constantino Chiwenga has retired from the military and he has been replaced as CDF by former Commander of the Zimbabwe National Army, Phillip Valerio Sibanda. Edzai Absolom Chimonyo becomes the new Commander of the Zimbabwe National Army. Former Air Vice Marshal Elson Moyo has been named as the new Air Force Commander. Major-Generals Sibusiso Moyo and Engelbert Rugeje have received promotion upon retirement and they retire as Lieutenant-Generals. Air Marshal Perrance Shiri has also been promoted on retirement to Air Chief Marshal, a four-star rank.
The Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet, Dr M.J.M.Sibanda, has announced the following promotions and appointments in the Zimbabwe Defence Forces by His Excellency the President, Cde Emerson Dambudzo Mnangagwa:
1) Promotion on Retirement
- Air Marshal Perrance Shill has been promoted to the rank of Air Chief Marshal on retirement.
- Major General S. B. Moyo has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General on retirement.
- Major General Engelbert Rugeje has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General on retirement.
The three remain part of the National Reserve Force.
2) Appointments on Promotion
- Lieutenant General Philip Valerio Sibanda has been promoted to the rank of a full General, and assumes the post of Commander Defence Forces (CDF). Before this latest promotion and appointment, Lt. General Sibanda was Commander, Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA).
- Ambassador Major General Edzai Absolom Chanyuka Chimonyo has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant General and assumes the post of Commander, Zimbabwe National Army (ZNA). Before this latest promotion and appointment, Major General Chimonyo was on secondment to the then Ministry of Foreign Affairs as Zimbabwe’s Ambassador to the United Republic of Tanzania, with multiple accreditations to the Republics of Burundi and Rwanda.
- Air Vice Marshal Elson Moyo has been promoted to the rank of Air Marshal, and assumes the post of Commander, Airforce of Zimbabwe (AFZ). Before this latest promotion and appointment, Air Vice Marshal Moyo was Chief of Staff, Joint Operations and Plans at the Zimbabwe Defence Force Headquarters.
3) Promotions to the rank of Major General
- Brigadier General David Sigauke
- Brigadier General John Chris Mupande
- Brigadier General Paul Chima
- Brigadier General Hlanganani Dube
4) Promotion to the rank of Air Vice Marshal
- Air Commodore Jasper Garikayi Marangwanda
5) Movements in the Zimbabwe Republic Police.
- Commissioner General of Police, Dr Augustine Chihuri started his leave on 15th December, 2017, pending his retirement from the Service.
- Deputy Commissioner General Cde Godwin Matanga has been appointed Acting Commissioner General of Zimbabwe Republic Police.
6) Retirement pending redeployment
- General Constantino Guvheya Dominic Nyikadzino Chiwenga is set to retire pending redeployment.
All the promotions and appointments are with immediate effect.
18 DEC 2017
Dr M.J.M Sibanda
Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet
More details To follow