President Jacob Zuma, in his capacity as SADC chairperson, called an urgent meeting to discuss the unfolding political and security situation in Zimbabwe today in Gaborone, Botswana.
The meeting follows Zimbabwean Defence Forces intervention in Zimbabwe. The meeting was attended by ministers responsible for foreign or external affairs from the SADC Organ Troika member states, namely Angola, Tanzania and Zambia as well as SADC Council Chairperson Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, the South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation. Below is the SADC press statement on the meeting:
1. The SADC Organ Troika Plus Council Chairperson Ministerial Meeting was held at the SADC Secretariat in Gaborone, Republic of Botswana on 16th November 2017, comprising of the Republic of South Africa (Chairperson of Council of Ministers), Republic of Angola (Chairperson of Organ), Republic of Zambia (Incoming Chairperson of Organ) and United Republic of Tanzania (Outgoing Chairperson of Organ).
Are you in Zimbabwe?
Read Pindula News without data on your phone on freedata.pindula.co.zw
Only Applicable to Econet lines
2. SADC Organ Troika Plus reafirmed SADC’s commitment to African Union (AU) Constitutive Act and the SADCs Democratic Principles, as they relate to the unconstitutional removal of democratically elected Governments.
3. The objective of the meeting was to consider the unfolding situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe.
4. SADC Organ Troika noted with great concern the unfolding situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe
5. SADC Organ Troika further reafirmed the need for SADC Member States to remain guided by their Constitutions.
6. SADC Organ Troika called upon all stakeholders in Zimbabwe to settle the political challenges through peaceful means
7. Having considered the unfolding situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe, the Organ Troika recommended the convening of an urgent Extra Ordinary SADC Summit and committed to remain seized with the situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe.
Done at Gaborone, Republic of Botswana, 16th of November, 2017
The Republic of Zimbabwe is a country located in the Southern Africa region. Its capital city is Harare and the country has 10 Zimbabwe Provinces. Zimbabwe is 390,580 sq km and is bordered on all sides by other countries (Zambia in the north, South Africa... Read More About Zimbabwe