In a statement released on Sunday, Harare City Council ordered all commuter omnibus operators who use Copacabana Bus Terminus and Market Square Bus Terminus to go back to the Coventry Holding Bay with immediate effect.
In the same statement, Council also ordered all kombi operators who use S.V Muzenda (Fourth Street), and Charge Office Bus Termini to use the space opposite Rhodesville Police Station along Robert Mugabe Road as their holding bay. Council also ordered operators of illegal taxis known as mshika-shika to stop operating. The ranks below will serve the following routes:
- a) Copacabana – Western and northwestern suburbs
- b) Charge Office – Chitungwiza and southern suburbs
- c) Fourth Street – Ruwa, Marondera, eastern and north eastern suburbs
- d) Market Square – Western and Southern suburbs e) Rezende – Mt Pleasant and University of Zimbabwe.
The statement also advised long distance bus operators that the main rank remains Mbare Musika bus terminus. The new ranks for long distance buses are:
- Bulawayo bound buses- open space between Long Chen Plaza and National Sports Stadium between Samora Machel Avenue and Kirkman Road.
- Mutare bound buses- open space at the corner of Cripps Road and Seke Road next to City of Harare Quarry site.
- Masvingo bound buses- terminus at Mbudzi Roundabout.
- Bindura Bound commuter omnibuses-open space along Leopold Takawira (western side) between Josiah Tongogara Street and Cork Road.
Read part of the statement below:
Commuter Omnibus Operators are hereby reminded of the official designated bus ranks in the CBD, which are:
a) Copacabana – Western and northwestern suburbs
b) Charge Office – Chitungwiza and southern suburbs
c) Fourth Street – Ruwa, Marondera, eastern and north eastern suburbs
d) Market Square – Western and Southern suburbs e) Rezende – Mt Pleasant and University of Zimbabwe.
Council is in the process of rationalizing the issuance of route authority and will withdraw these from non-compliant operators. All illegal taxi operators commonly known as mushika-shika are instructed to stop operating forthwith .All those willing to operate as taxi operators should follow the necessary procedure and register.
Council together with the Zimbabwe Republic Police are going to take decisive measures against operators who willfully cause chaos by using undesignated ranks.
LONG DISTANCE BUSES RANKS
Mbare remains the main bus terminus for long distance buses. Bus operators for destinations listed below who wish to utilize the pick-up points specified below , must register at Mbare District Office and obtain special permits . Shuttle buses will ferry passengers to and from the sites.
The long distance buses, which were using pick up and drop off zones in the CBD are with immediate effect instructed to desist from that illegal practice. Long distance buses should use the following pick up and drop off points:
Bulawayo bound buses are going to use an open space between Long Chen Plaza and National Sports Stadium between Samora Machel Avenue and Kirkman Road.Mutare bound buses are going to use the open space at the corner of Cripps Road and Seke Road next to City of Harare Quarry site. Masvingo bound buses are going to use the terminus at Mbudzi Roundabout. Bindura Bound commuter omnibuses are going to use an open space along Leopold Takawira (western side) between Josiah Tongogara Street and Cork Road.
Stakeholders are required to play their part in making the sunshine city the pride of Zimbabwe.