A three-man commission has been appointed to run Chitungwiza after Local Government Minister Saviour Kasukuwere suspended all 24 councillors and the mayor. The suspected councillors are alleged to have allocated themselves numerous stands, in some cases as many as 46stands for one individual. The estimated value of the illegally allocated land is $7 million dollars. The commission is expected to reverse all illegal land deals.
According to an internal audit:
- Clr Charamba Mlambo was allocated 46 stands
- Clr Simbiso Mhike was allocated 8,413 hectares
- Clr Nicholas Mashayamombe was allocated 3, 839 hecatres
- Human resources manager Mary Mukonyora was allocated 8,41 hectares
- Councillors alleged bought stands for as little as $200 and sold them for $5 000.
Saviour Kasukuwere is a politician, businessman and farmer. He is the former Minister of Local Government, Rural Development and National Housing and former Zanu- PF national political commissar. He was expelled from Parliament as the (Mount Darwin South) legislator in November 2017 following the military... Read More About Saviour Kasukuwere
Chitungwiza is a dormitory town found some 30 km, from Harare. The town is known for producing some of the finest musicians such as Alick Macheso and Mechanic Manyeruke. The latest popuation survey(2012) revealed that the city has In 2013 it made international headlines after... Read More About Chitungwiza