President Robert Mugabe celebrates his birthday today. Here are five things you probably did not know or have forgotten about him:
- He has 16 degrees, 9 of which he studied for and 5 honorary degrees.
- He joined active politics in 1960 when he joined the Joshua Nkomo led National Democratic Party (NDP) which opposed white minority rule. When the party was banned, he joined a breakaway party Zimbabwe African People’s Union (ZAPU). In 1963 he co-founded the ZANU PF which he currently heads.
- Mugabe came face to face with growing regional disapproval in Zambia. On Saturday 24 January 2015, he was faced with a demonstration in Zambia after he had gone to witness the inauguration of Zambian president Lungu.
- On 4 February 2015, Mugabe fell on the red carpet soon after addressing his party supporters at the Harare International Airport after returning Ethiopia where had ascended to the position of Chairperson. State media reported that it was a minor carpet mishap while on social media animated pictures of his fall went viral.
- He married Sally Mugabe near Hayfron in 1961 and together they had one son Michael Nhamodzenyika who died in his infancy. Sally died of kidney failure in 1992 prompting Mugabe to marry Grace Mugabe nee Marufu who was his secretary in 1996.
You can read more of his biography HERE
Quick NetOne, Telecel, Africom, And Econet Airtime Recharge
If anything goes wrong, click here to enter your query.Powered by Techzim