Today Zimbabwe remembers the passing on of John Nkomo who who served as Vice President from 2009 to 2013. Here are five things you probably did not know about him:
- Nkomo joined politics as one of the founding members of the African National Congress between 1958 and 1959. He then joined the National Democratic Party (NDP) in 1960 before joining the Joshua Nkomo-led Zimbabwe African People’s Union (ZAPU) in 1961.
- He was seriously injured in a parcel bomb that killed Jason Ziyapapa Moyo in 1977.
- During the Government of National Unity, he served as Vice-President having been sworn in on the 14th of December 2009.
- His son said that Nkomo was a good friend of the opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.
- Nkomo had a secondary school named after his name, the John Landa Nkomo Secondary School in Tsholotsho which he helped construct.
You can read more HERE