- Makarau attended Donbrooke Primary School in Mabvuku for her primary education before proceeding to Goromonzi High School.
- From 1998 to 2000 she served in the Constitutional Commission
- In 2006, she assumed the position of Judge President becoming the first female to assume the role.
- In May 2010, she was appointed a Supreme Court Judge and was replaced by former Zimbabwe Electoral Commission chairman George Chiweshe.
- Makarau granted Dongo the authority to assist her minor child to obtain a passport without the presence and the authority of the child’s father. This was after Margaret Dongo was turned away by the Registrar General’s Office while seeking to obtain a passport for her child Kudakwashe Norman on the basis that she could not assist the child to obtain a passport, as she was not the natural guardian of the child.