Former NetOne chief executive officer, Reward Kangai earned a mega salary more than that of most Heads of State and government in the world, crippling the country’s first registered mobile phone provider, board chairperson, Alex Marufu, has said.
Marufu made the remarks in his founding affidavit filed at the High Court in response to Kangai’s application seeking to challenge a disciplinary hearing, which was supposed to be held against him over alleged misconduct and abuse of office. The hearing has since been withdrawn and Kangai was served with a dismissal letter instead.
Part of the affidavit reads,
The declaratur sought is now superfluous and irrelevant on account of the termination of applicant’s (Kangai) employment by notice, and no grounds for bias have been established. If anything, the applicant himself is exhibiting an inclination to cling onto clear falsehoods against hard facts.
Commenting on Kangai’s claims of serving his former employer and doing well for the parastatal which he was accusing of refusing to engage him, Marufu said,
Indeed, it is admitted that the applicant (Kangai) has worked for 35 years for the former Posts and Telecommunications Corporation and respondent (NetOne). The applicant obviously worked well for the organisation, but he must admit two key things: Firstly, that respondent has not made profits at all notwithstanding being the first registered mobile phone service provider, and that regardless of the losses, he has been earning more than most Heads of States of third world countries and has personally built his estate successfully.
Commenting on Kangai’s claims that he had been dismissed by the NetOne board without his knowledge, Marufu said the allegations were unfounded. Kangai was initially sent on forced leave in March and officially suspended without pay and benefits on October 6 this year to facilitate investigations over the alleged abuse of millions of dollars. His contract was subsequently terminated on October 12 on a three-month notice.